Posted March 13, 2020
Updated October 8, 2020
On this page:
- Messages from the President
- COVID-19 Information from Your Employer
- COVID-19 Information from Governments
- Upcoming Union Meetings & Events Cancelled/Postponed
Message from the President
October 2, 2020
Good afternoon, I hope this finds you safe and well.
As COVID-19 is still among us and is in fact spreading in the community at a much faster rate than earlier in the summer, it is imperative that we all do our part to slow the spread and work to keep ourselves, our families, and our communities safe. Please follow all recommended guidelines and encourage others to do so as well.
We have recently amended and extended the temporary layoff Letters of Understanding (LOUs) with the City of Edmonton and the Edmonton Public Library. Particularly with the City, this was done reluctantly as we have received a number of requests for recalls where we have disagreed with the City’s rationale—in particular, in requests that circumvent seniority. However, we have a responsibility to all of our membership and have heard clearly how important the extension of benefits are to those still on temporary layoff. This is one of the main reasons the Union extended the Temporary Layoff LOU.
From the start of this pandemic, the Union has attempted to mitigate the financial cost to members in all bargaining units and continues to do so. It is telling that during this emergency, the City of Edmonton has embarked upon a journey to “Reimagine” the workplace. This project began long before the emergence of COVID-19. The “Reimagine” project and the recent City Auditor’s report has conveniently tied “Reimagine” and COVID-19 together. It is now apparent that senior City administration, and a good portion of City Council, do not appreciate hard-working frontline workers. Instead, they are invested in protecting the extremely bloated out-of-scope management structure that they themselves are responsible for. As we continue to see more than a thousand employees on layoff, the City continues to hire more out-of-scope managers and post new Union positions when laid-off employees are available to fill those positions.
We continue to advocate on behalf of the membership in all of our bargaining units and are concerned how members who are assigned to work from home are coping with remote work. We continue to raise OH&S concerns in all bargaining units regarding: equipment, safety concerns, security issues, and costs incurred by individual employees working from home. Each and every member remains our primary concern and we continue to work on your behalf. At this time, it is more important than ever that we stand together. We need your help and support.
Take care and stay safe,
Previous Messages from the Lanny Chudyk:
- September 22 [PDF]
- September 2 [PDF]
- August 25 [PDF]
- July 21 [PDF]
- July 13 – Update from the Coalition of Edmonton Civic Unions’ Presidents [PDF]
- June 23 [PDF]
- June 11 [PDF]
- May 27 – City of Edmonton Employee Redeployments – Voluntary Waiver of Overtime Pay [PDF]
- May 19 [PDF]
- May 11 [PDF]
- May 4 [PDF]
- May 1 [PDF]
- April 21 [PDF]
- April 8 [PDF]
- March 31 [PDF]
- March 23 [PDF]
- March 13 [PDF]
COVID-19 Information from Your Employer
Jeff Vaasjo, HR Senior Manager, advised us that Capital Power initially sent COVID-19 communication to all employees on March 4 and they have since created a dedicated resource page for employees on the internal Intranet.
Please continue to monitor the Capital Power Intranet for updated information.
Updated August 6, 2020
The City has compiled a variety of resources at the below links to keep all employees informed with current information about COVID-19 and other viruses.
onecity Intranet login is required to view:
Latest Update from the City:
New Letters of Understanding:
- COVID-19: Redeployment of Employees [PDF]
- Related Memo: CSU 52 Employee Redeployments – Voluntary Waiver of Overtime Pay [PDF]
- COVID-19: Temporary Layoff Provisions [PDF]
- Redeployment of Edmonton Police Service Employees during COVID-19 [PDF]
- Return to Work of Temporary Laid-Off Staff who work in the Community and Recreation Facilities Branch (COVID-19) [PDF]
Message from the Coalition of Edmonton Civic Unions (CECU):
July 15, 2020
Updated August 19, 2020
EPL has developed a Staffweb page to share information about the COVID-19. Updates will be provided to staff as things change.
EPL Staffweb portal login is required to view:
New Letters of Understanding:
- Letter of Understanding #11 – Temporary Layoff and Recall: COVID-19 Pandemic [PDF]
- Addendum to Letter of Understanding #11 – Temporary Layoff and Recall: COVID-19 Pandemic [PDF]
- Extension – Letter of Understanding #11 – Temporary Layoff and Recall: COVID-19 Pandemic [PDF]
- Extension of Dental Expense Submissions as a Result of COVID-19 (May 4) [PDF]
- Press Release: “Canada’s Urban Libraries Call on Federal Government to Make Change in Canada Emergency Response Benefit” [LINK]
EPL Update #5 from Lori Jeffery-Heaney (Contractual Unit Director, EPL):
August 19, 2020
Previous EPL Updates from Lori Jeffery-Heaney:
Aaron Miller, Senior Manager of Labour Relations, sent an email to all EPCOR employees on March 12 in regard to additional precautions against the virus.
It is important for all employees to consult the COVID-19 page on EPCORnet for ongoing updates.
Updated May 15, 2020
Alan Nursall, President & CEO, sent an email to all TWOSE employees on March 9 with a recommendation to stay informed with reputable health organizations, starting with Alberta Health Services.
In response to the Alberta Government’s March 12 announcement, TELUS World of Science – Edmonton will proactively close to the public starting Friday, March 13, 2020. This includes all programs, events, IMAX Theatre and Zeidler Dome shows, retail services, as well as our outreach Science in Motion programs.
“We will continue to closely monitor this situation as it evolves, and will share updated information about the re-opening of the science centre with you by email and through our other digital channels.”
New Letter of Understanding:
COVID-19 Information from Governments
- City of Edmonton: https://edmonton.ca/COVID-19
- Government of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/coronavirus-info-for-albertans.aspx
- Government of Canada: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19.html
Upcoming Union Meetings & Events Cancelled/Postponed
Following the recommendation of social distancing during the COVID-19 pandemic, the following CSU 52 Meetings & Events are considered cancelled/postponed at this time (future dates TBD).
- Children’s Christmas Party originally scheduled for November 28, 2020 at Galaxyland WEM – CANCELLED