Civic Services Union 52 (CSU 52) is proud to announce our endorsement of Cori Longo in her campaign to represent the residents of Ward Métis as a City Councillor.
Edmonton needs City Councillors who will stand up to upper management and their track record of reducing the number of frontline workers while hiring more middle management. We are certain that Cori Longo will be that representative.
Cori Longo’s policy platform resonates with us and fits with the values that matter to our working members. In particular, CSU 52 supports Cori Longo’s commitments to:
- Fight for good jobs in our city in both the public and private sector;
- Ensure the City of Edmonton is a good employer;
- Support strong public services that families can count on;
- Fight against damaging cuts and privatization;
- Increase access to community resources such as mental health supports and affordable housing;
- Invest in the things that make our city attractive and livable, such as our playgrounds, our parks and river valley, pools, libraries, recreation centres, and transit system;
- Achieve net zero emissions in Edmonton by 2035, in cooperation with EPCOR, Capital Power and other leaders in the sector;
- Prioritize changes to improve City Council’s budget transparency, including action to address issues raised in the C.D. Howe Institute report which scored Edmonton as a failing grade.
She has demonstrated her dedication to our community through her long record of service to Edmontonians. Cori Longo worked to improve the health of residents as a registered nurse, then delivering news to our front doors as a postal worker. Most recently, she activated people across the city and region to support important campaigns for good jobs, healthy neighbourhoods, and strong public services with the Canadian Labour Congress Prairie Chapter. She continues to impress with her depth of knowledge on how public policy impacts real families, and by her clear passion for helping our community thrive.
We need City Councillors who can inspire a diverse coalition of voters from every corner of our city. We believe Cori Longo has the vision it takes to be that candidate. CSU 52 is ready to help mobilize our 6,200+ members and networks in Ward Métis and beyond to help get her elected. We will be launching member volunteer canvasses to support Cori Longo’s campaign now and up to election day on Monday, October 18, 2021.
About Civic Service Union 52
CSU 52 is one of the largest independent unions in Canada, representing over 6,200 technical, professional, administrative, and clerical workers from the following employers:
- Capital Power
- City of Edmonton
- Edmonton Public Library
- TELUS World of Science - Edmonton
CSU 52 provides a collective voice for negotiations with our members’ employers, including negotiating wages, benefits, physical and mental safety in the workplace, and fair & equitable working conditions. We actively contribute to the broader community through financial support, member volunteerism, and collaborative relationships to advance social well-being in Edmonton.
Civic Service Union 52